The Society was founded in 1944 to serve the people of Weymouth, Portland and surrounding areas. Until recently it was registered as charity number 271135. Following changes in October 2012, it is now registered as charity number 1148603.
to stimulate public interest in the Weymouth & Portland area
to promote higher standards of planning and architecture in the area
to secure the preservation, protection, development and improvement of features of historic, public or natural interest in the area.
Activities The Society monitors planning applications in the area, and makes observations and offers opinions to the local authorities. It also sponsors an annual award for the best contribution to the built environment.
Regular meetings are arranged to hear talks and discuss current civic topics, amongst many other activities.